2016/08/26

Mini Art Journal - She was a wildflower

The month is nearly over, but there is still some time left to participate in Viva Las VegaStamps august challenge. I let myself be inspired by these words from their inspiration post: bold, bright, intuitive, strong, women, feminine, artsy, splatter, script, polka dots, pink, teal, lime green, white,black, stencils. Last month I also ordered a bunch of stamps through their anniversary sale (free shipping and discount = me ordering 5 plates and some loose stamps!) so I have no excuse not to participate in this month's challenge as well ;)

I chose to do a spread in my mini art journal and I knew for the august challenge I wanted to use the Whimsical Lady Grey stamp from the last release a design by Mary Vogel Lozinac with a few from the Mixed Media plate from the april release. A full list of stamps and materials I used are listed below. Lady Grey looks like she could be starring in Bojack Horseman which I have been watching episodes of recently. Such a fun show! Anyhow, on to my art journal spread...

She was a wildflower mini art journal
The size of my mini art journal is about pocket fieldnotes/moliskine size, but I chose to work on A5 size paper (120gms smooth project paper from Paperchase) on which I had already stamped the Artemio Silhouette flowers with Heroarts Ombre in neon pinks. I gave the flowers a bit of shadow and also stamped them with Staz-on Dove grey.  I stamped lady grey, colored her in with letraset promarkers and masked her before adding more interest to the page with mixed media stamps and dylusions sprays and stencils.

She was a wildflower mini art journal
I got inspired by the circle and handwritten text on the inspiration post so I wrote some "she was a dreamer, a champion and courageous" around the circle and paired it with the sentiment "she was a wildflower" text stamp. I also added some ink spatters with Liquitex inks in White and black on the edges of the page. 
She was a wildflower mini art journal
Time for the big reveal and I took off the mask from Lady Grey! I always love this part, and it doesn't look to shabby! I traced the sentiment with my faber castell Pitt artist pen and also underlined it. Then it was time to place the page in my journal!
She was a wildflower mini art journal
After I sized up the spread, cut and glued it into place, I took out my distress crayons to give more interest to the page. I drew more circles around the circle stamps with pink, colored the plants with teal and green and added some grey accents near Lady Grey's feet so she looks a bit more "grounded". I also used white and grey crayons to try to make the wildflower sentiment pop out a bit. And then I decided I should actually put a wildflower on the page. 
She was a wildflower mini art journal
I thought that the Whimsical Seed pod from the same plate would make an excellent addition. Colored it in with Letraset promarkers in pinks, to make a contrast with the green and teal and adhered it to the piece. I use sticker paper for this so I would not have to use glue and that always works like a charm! To finish the piece I used the stitching lines stamp as a border in memento black. I'm really happy how the spread turned out and I'm loving the format/size of the mini journal a lot too :) 

It was absolutely amazing and encouraging to have been chosen one of the VLVS July challenge winners! I am excited to see what fun stamps are in the grab bag they sent me :) Of course I hope to win again, but it's really fun just to get inspired and create something! I hardly use pinks in my work so this was a fun step out of my comfort zone. Here's the inspiration board and if you want to join in, just click the picture and add a link to your work on the challenge page :)




Stamps used:
Artemio Silhouette Flowers
Materials:
Stamppads: Memento black, Stazon eden green, forest green, cherry pink, black cherry, dove grey and stone grey, Heroarts Ombre pinks and greens
Dylusions sprays:  turquoise and lemon zest
Stencil girl Starlight stencil
Liquitex INKS! in white and black
Distress Crayons: white, teal, pink, grey and green
Letraset promarkers to color in Lady Grey and Seed Pod
Faber Castell Artist Pitt Markers with Black India Ink. 

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

namasté

6 comments:

  1. Heel gaaf hoe je deze met maskeren toch als focalpoint gebruikt hebt! En heerlijk zomers... Fijn weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow prachtig ! en wat leuk dat je meedoet met ons bij VivaLasVegaStamps!
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so vbeautiful! I love all the layering. Thank you for entering the Viva Las VegaStamps! Challenge, good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read them all and they are very much appreciated ❤

GDPR law EU disclaimer: please be aware that if you leave a comment on any post on this blog that your name and blog link will visible (if you have set it on public) to all who visit this blog.
By publishing the comment, you agree that you publish own personal details on this blog and are in consent of sharing that publicly.